HELPING Teams and coaches reach potential with feedback and tracking
Francisco Baptista is Founder and CEO of TeamSportz, a company building an AI sports platform to help team athletes enhance their performance.
Francisco was born in Angola, growing during a period of civil war in that country. He used basketball as an escape from this harsh environment, first by watching his mother play, and then finding sanctuary on the courts himself. Francisco moved to Brazil for his teenage years, then to Portugal, and finally now in the UK. All the while pursuing his dual passions for hoops and software development. It’s the meeting of these two loves where TeamSportz, with a zed as they say, was born. The company now boasts notable investors including Mark Gainey, co-founder of Strava and Rand Fishkin of Moz fame.
Francisco has a great story. You will want to listen in.
“I’ve been acutely aware that I’m black since I started TeamSportz.”
~ Francisco Baptista
In this episode Francisco and Dan discussed:
- growing up in war and in different countries
- how his upbringing matured him past his contemporaries while in school
- how Portuguese differs from Angola, to Brazil, to Portugal
- how asking for advice, led to an investor, and another, and another…
- playing university-level basketball as a teen, by “being Francisco Sr”
“moving to Brazil – particularly moving from Angola…Brazil was a bit of a shock.”
“…as a team there’s and ever-increasing appetite for performance data ”